Welcome to the Lounge. Here is where you can discuss the future plans for the new public house.
Unfortunately I cannot make the dates for the workshop but wanted to post to say I think this is an excellent idea and I'm really glad that the community is being invited to to get involved.
I wanted to share a couple of personal thoughts on the plan and see what other people might think. Just my views, so may be a minority of one of this!
1. Sustainability. I think there is a great opportunity for this building to embody the latest thinking on sustainability to demonstrate how old buildings can be developed in a way to supports the environment. Whether through solar panels, insulation, use of window to help natural light or the materials used for the build, it would be lovely for this development to not just do these things but demonstrate how they have been used for others to learn too.
2. I'm really happy that at the centre of this the idea is that the space will be a pub. Pubs are some of the most inclusive community spaces out there. I think in these post covid times people are going to want to work remotely more often and I think having a space where people can get a coffee and work is a great way for random members of the community to meet each other. So I think the design should support those who would like to do that (perhaps workshop style desks for people to pop down and log in, free fast wi-fi and LOTS of plug sockets and chargers - both plugs but also wireless and USB)
3. The fact that it is the oldest building in Lewisham is lovely, it would be great to really double down on that. so many new people to the area don't appreciate the history of Lewisham and so being sensitive to the spirit of the place would be great
4. It would be great is there was a function room or similar to allow for community activities to take place
5. I love pubs, but they are not for everyone. It would be great if there design was orientated to make it very coffee and lunch orientated by day and more social in the evenings
I think that's all for now - would love to hear other people's thoughts and views!
Thanks Adam. Great input!
Other suggestions welcome!
I really loved the constitutional club, it was casual, laid back, well priced and had a beer garden
I'd love it to be rebuilt with a strong sustainability focus too, including drinks and food service using sustainable products and showcasing sustainable and local drinks and produce
Please make it green with an outdoor space with trees and plants - there is too much pollution in this part of london and we need space that is away from traffic and is green
How well do you know Catford?
Take the Quiz.