An historic building in Catford will be brought back into community use as part of Lewisham Council’s exciting new plans for a revitalised town centre.
Formerly known as the Catford Constitutional Club, the building will be refurbished and reopened as a public house, with additional spaces for local culture & creativity.
The locally listed Victorian building was forced to close in August 2019 due to structural and safety issues.The adjoining Georgian house, the oldest building in Catford and the only existing part of the original farm dating from 1736, is derelict and has not been in use for over 20 years.
The project was awarded for funding as part of the Mayor of London’s £70 million regeneration programme to support growth and community development in London.
The building and surrounding site, including the Thomas’ Lane car park, are owned by Lewisham council, and under the proposals it will be restored and connected to a new public space, Thomas’ Lane Yard.
In January 2021 Lewisham Council appointed Turner Works, together with Hayatsu Architects and Surman Weston as designers and the team are working towards a planning application this summer. Carl Turner, director of Turner Works adds:
“This is a great opportunity to transform an historic building into a social space for local people. We see our brief as developing a series of public rooms that celebrate culture and creativity in Catford. We look forward to working with the community, Lewisham Council and the GLA on these new plans.”